Saturday, August 30, 2008

One of My Most Favorite Writings...

I wrote this at a difficult time in my journey. It brought me comfort, and focus. It has the energy's I oft strive for... recognition of the chaos... images of others on the journey with me and the gifts each bring... and the giving of thanks... the 'grace' that brings peace in the darkest of times...

Sitting Out a Storm
February 5, 1997
12:50 AM

The cutting edge of the cliff
rides to the ridge and above
to a storm filled sky...
A hawk tries the wind
in a futile search for food

and I cover my head and shiver in anticipation
of another cold and bitter night
in this canyon of my Journey.

To the west, the lightning show begins again,
as it did last night, and the night before...
and I can’t ignore the fear I feel
having walked alone and uncovered for so long.

The hawk is still trying the sky...
he sat on the butte for nearly an hour watching and feeling
the world he and I currently share.
I wonder if he cares for these storms anymore than I do.

Yet, inside of me is a dream...
and fear fades to wonder as I watch the power and glory
of the blackened sky as the blue powered bolts
of Heaven’s Fury play out their symphony on
the background of the cliffs before me.

I see inside of me my own furies at times,
yet, like the storm...
I know they will ride their angry song away
and day will break as blue and calm
as she has for time beyond time in this canyon that I walk in tonight.

I realize this storm is right for this land’s needs,
for her waters feed the soil, and the barren earth
brings forth the blade, that calls to the
hare...
And the Hawk and I care that this should occur in this way.

I don’t know how the Hawk will pray for the meal he’ll find
when the Storm rides out of the valley...
But I know my heart knows a way to say thanks to this maelstrom
that interrupted our evening this day.

No comments: