Sunday, August 24, 2008

Transition - Some Ramblings

It has been a summer of transition all around me, and in all the lives I have been involved in. It has been a scary time for many, a hopeful time for some, a hopeless time for others...
and it has been hard on some level for all of us. And true to mortal character, we have all responded in different ways...

As I was thinking about blogging this weekend, I have had this uppermost in my mind and experiences, and I have had many talks with many people this weekend on this topic.

So I turned to one of my favorite rock and roll groups, RUSH, and wanted to put the lyrics of two of my favorite songs around one of my writings that came to the forefront when I thought about what to post this weekend. So round and round those two songs have been going on my I-tunes as I worked the lyrics into my blog. (I wonder if it is making my wife crazy!) I posted and reposted and worked out bugs in getting that right, and tweaking my own writing... and then it occured to me that I might be violating their copyrights on their songs, even though my intent was to share what they have already shared... but then I would also be violating an even deeper principle I have learned in this life... I just hadn't asked for their permission.

So I deleted their lyrics around my own writing, and it will have to stand then by itself for the reader... without the sounds that surrounded me as I wrote and posted it. I have been writing for over 30 years with the intent of someday having an audience that could be moved as deeply as I have been moved and taught going through the writing process. Always there is music around the experience. I wish I could put the reader in the place of the writer when many of these things come. It is an experience I would share with the whole world if I knew how. As it stands, I must be content that the reader will hopefully come away with something from my writing effort that will touch their hearts and perhaps their souls... but their own music will have to surround the words... whether that be silence, or otherwise.

And you know... that's okay! Their music will have the most impact anyway!

Music is a huge source of power, energy, motivation, and enlightenment for me. It comes into play on so many levels of my multi-level being and I almost always have some desire to have some around me.

Yesterday, on a client's dance studio floor, in the quiet of an early morning, I danced to silence. There was no one around to witness... no one to see the movement of body and muscle and sinew in this older but still very limber body as I "danced" and let go of my inner tensions and stress on that studio floor where my client's energies and lives and loves have touched so many people, including me. Many dances have happened on that studio floor. As it turns out, I just realized mine was the last. One of their friends came in and ripped up the floor an hour or so later. They are in major transformation now... a chapter has ended... a long and very influencial chapter.

My client taught me how to dance in spirit on that floor some years ago. She taught me how to let go of the ego of the mortal and touch the inner child of the immortal within me. In teaching me to dance in spirit, she was yet another teacher who taught me how to fly. She also taught hundreds of children over 40 years to do the same.

Her husband, one of my deepest friends lately, has been one of the few men that understands the joys of classical music, and spiritual experiences in everyday life that move me so much. One of the few men that I could share experiences with that you don't just put out there for everyday gossip, especially among men.

She is a dancer... he wears so many hats I don't know where to begin... they have teamed to love and give to many children and their children's children over the years all the gifts they came to earth with. And I have been honored to be touched by them in my capacity initially as an accountant... but ultimately as a soul friend. They have also played a major role in the last couple of years in the transitions of my family. In the capacity of real estate agent, he got us into our home now.

In the capacity of friends, they keep me on my toes! Thank you, my deep friends!

And music is what we share the best. Music... the universal language we all speak at some level, that moves all our hearts and minds and souls...

I wish I could put the music around the words that come when I write because that is part of the magic that makes the words work. Mostly, in this world of transition... I hope I can put the energy of love behind the words behind the music of my life that has helped me in my transitions, because I am not alone in what I've gone through... I have a world of brothers and sisters around me going through so many similar games! My mom shared words with me this morning that I want to pass on...

As you now have enough life experience behind you--being past a half century and all--you have come to a place in life where you can see how you always come out on top. That's a strange thing about life, how we always seem to get through the difficult times--wiser, stronger, and better for it all.

I love the hope and the faith in that! We will be okay.

Isn't it great we came into life with moms!

And isn't it great we have each other when the going gets really going!

By the way, I just had a talk not only with my wife, but with my daughter who lives downstairs! The music definately was making them crazy!

1 comment:

Joey said...

Ah, I dance a lot. There is music in my soul, Bro!

One of the best times was a New Year's Eve when the kids were little and starting to fall asleep before midnight. We put on Oldies and danced in our nightgowns until everyone was awake enough to bring in the New Year.

Music, is indeed, one of the best of this life's gifts!