Thursday, September 18, 2008

ONE FOR MY SUNSHINE... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

In 1975 I joined the Army as a Band Musician. It was a good time to serve the country... Nixon had just pulled the troops out of Viet Nam, and the draft had ended the year before my high school graduation.

Military people weren't hero's then like they are supposed to be now, but that is a highly charged issue these days, and I'm not into political correctness or stirring controversy, and this post isn't about that anyway, but a salute to a dear friend who helped me in one of my darkest hours and maybe understands a little because we are email buds, but I want to honor her with a small tribute, because she needs to know that she has touched my life in ways deeper than I can thank her for... and I know that when life slows down for her a bit, she will check into this blog!

Dear Sunshine! Do you remember the poem you sent me from "Charlie's Monument" entitled "The Gift?" Do you know what you started with that simple sharing?

Periodically now, as I continue to write, and hone my gift for poems and lyrics, and express my soul, (mostly into my own computer banks), and lately as I begin to share those things out into my email world; I think of that book, and that poem. You sent it to me when you found out I had gotten into the drug world, and you sent me that which most deeply touches my heart! You sent me a simple poem. I hung that poem up on my barracks wall for the duration, and I made that poem my first real mantra.

I was thinking about my own little mountain that I guard, and the stones I go down and pick up to build that monument... each song I bring into my computer from my muses... as I go in to my files these days those individual writings from time to time over the last 30 years or so have become a very big gift that I hope to return to my Deep Friend and Advocate when I am released from this planetary assignment! They are my gifts to God, and the Godness, and goodness within each of us!

The words started out as my own form of healing. They are beginning to go into the world to help others now. Each day is more and more precious to me... I have been blessed with so many loved ones around me in my personal and my business life!

Little sister, there are no words that can give you the love in my heart for that gift you shared with me so long ago! I would like to post one of my earliest songs with this blog in your honor... you were the first to get one of my gifts! Consider this one of my earliest stones in my monument... a foundational piece that you inspired when we were silly and young!

Thank you my sister in Spirit!

A SONG FOR JOEY
1975

Wake up, m’lady, the sunshine's on the land.
Wake up, m’lady, take the morning by the hand.
You gotta wake up, m’lady, with the dawn light in your eyes.
Wake up, m’lady, and help the morning find the skies.

Shake the dreams of your nighttime, woman.
A new day is dawning and the world's in a bind.
Bless the day with your sweet smile, and woman,
there just ain’t no tellin all the joy we can find...
and hello sunshine,

Ya know I’m doin fine.

Wake up, m’lady, shake the twilight from your hair.
Wake up, m’lady, you gotta show the world you care.
And when you wake up, m’lady, you’ll feel the summer as it hits the skies.
So wake up, m’lady, the morning’s waiting for the light of your eyes.

Shake the dreams of your nighttime, woman.
A new day is dawning and the world’s in a tear.
Bless the day with your sweet smile, and woman,
I think we’re gonna find that there are people who care...
and hello sunshine.

I’m gonna feel all right,
I’m gonna make up my mind,
ya know I’m doin fine.
You’ve made me feel all right,
you’ve helped me make up my mind,
ya know I’m doin fine.

Shake the dreams of your nighttime, woman,
A new day is dawning, and the world's in a bind.
Bless the day with your sweet smile, and woman,
there just ain’t no tellin all the joy we can find.

And hello sunshine,
Ya know I’m doin fine.

1 comment:

Joey said...

Bruce, My Dear Bro,

You are so sweet. I fear that you give credit where it's not due. I do remember how very worried I was about you. You see, I love, therefore I worry. You were too good a friend to see drown. I'm so glad that you can honestly tell me that you are truly and honestly and really doing fine.

And you were right! I did check into it when time slowed down.