Saturday, January 3, 2009

Flight Back from the Gardens...

My close friend who introduced me to this Blogging bit also led me to another blogger who I have really enjoyed following... when I can. I was intrigued by her latest posting... she talked about a movie she and her husband had recently seen, and made the comment that they had found so many scenes that could have been taken right from their own life story...

and then further down in her December postings she mentioned having been tagged by one of her friends to "leave a list" of those things that exposed some of herself to the blogging world... by catagory.

I was curious to hear more of the movies she identified with, and if the Librarian checks in, I would like to check into her site some time and find a similar list as I am going to give below... (go to the gardens and look amongst the flowers for her Marley & Me posting...) if she gets the chance!

MOVIES THAT I HAVE FOUND MYSELF IN: (AND WHO I WAS... INCOGNITO!)

1. Mr. Holland's Opus... (Mr. Holland, and a touch of his deaf son)
2. August Rush... (August... and a great deal of Robin William's Character)
3. You've Got Mail... (who doesn't love being Tom Hanks in their alter ego!)
4. Lord of The Rings (Aragorn, Gandalf... and a touch of Legolas... I run like Gimli!)
5. Bucket List... (Morgan Freeman's expression... a letting go of responsibility leading to a deeper commitment to faith...)
6. It's a Wonderful Life... (Both Clarence and Bill Bailey... I play both parts in the infamous "you don't exist" sequence.
7. Bruce Almighty... (Oh, this one's a no brainer!)
8. A Beautiful Mind... (I don't even own this one... it was so intense for me...)
9. A Charlie Brown Christmas... (Lots of Linus in me, and lots of good old Charlie Brown!)
10. The Jazz Singer... (Neil Diamond has always nailed down my soul in song, and in that flick!)

1 comment:

gilian said...

Welcome back, Skybird. Glad to hear from you.

While I usually try to limit the length of my comments, this one might be long. But, I figure, you asked for it, right?

About the list of movies I have found myself in. I have to be honest and say that while I may have related to different movies over the years, I can't remember them now. That is one of the beauties of blogging--I can look back on things I've written and remember, kinda like taking pictures with a camera. I can look at pictures I took of my kids when they were younger and remember the exact moment when I took the picture. Without the picture though, I would probably lose touch with the memory and its associated feelings. I'm sure I have lots of memories stored in my brain, but I can't retrieve them easily. Probably too many drugs through the years, but that's the way it is.

There's also the part about relating to different roles portrayed in movies that are less than flattering--maybe not wanting to admit in print that I might behave a certain way. (Think Shirley McLain in just about any of her recent roles where she is a cranky old woman...)

However. I can give you a list of my favorite movies and offer some insight.

So, here's a list of my favorites, in no particular order:

1. True Lies
2. A Beautiful Mind
3. A Beautiful Life
4. My Super Ex-Girlfriend
5. Days of Thunder
6. Talledega Nights
7. Fiddler on the Roof
8. Once
9. In Bruges
10. Pulp Fiction
11. Raging Bull
12. Scarface
13. The Royal Tannebaums
14. Steel Magnolias
15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

And the list goes on and on. The problem is, again, I can't remember them all. But the list above is a good representation of films that make me laugh or cry or watch in fascination. I have to say that I don't cry easily at movies--Marley & Me was an exception, but everybody in the theater cried during Marley & Me. However, I cry whenever I watch A Beautiful Mind or A Beautiful Life or Fiddler on the Roof or Steel Magnolias, and I laugh myself silly at My Super Ex-Girlfriend, True Lies, and Talladega Nights, and while it may be a bit sick, I enjoyed In Bruges tremendously. Once is a sweet movie with great music and beautiful scenery, and Days of Thunder has its own special place in my heart. Pulp Fiction is a great movie--but I enjoy almost everything Samuel L. Jackson is in. Scarface and Raging Bull are simply good, entertaining, harsh, breathtaking movies--but again, I usually like anything that has Al Pacino or Robert Deniro. The Royal Tannenbaums is one of those quirky films I can watch over and over, and Cuckoo’s Nest is probably self-explanatory…

As I think about the various films on my list, some of them are purely escapism, some are so beautifully made, and some touch me deeply on an emotional level. More often than not, if I can watch a movie and forget about everything but what I see on the screen for a couple of hours, it’s been money well spent.

gilian